US Taxes for Canadians
- If you work in the USA on a Visa. (TN Visa, EB-1, E2, etc.)
- If you are a dual-citizen of Canada and USA
- If you own property in the USA that you sold or currently rent out for income.
- If you sold investments (Stocks, bonds, etc.)
- If you own a business (LLC, S-corp, etc.)
- Certified copy of Passport
- Proof of residence in Canada
- Filing forms & W-7
- US Tax ID number
- Apply for any Tax ID number you need
- File form 1040NR, 1040, or other (that applies to your needs)
Many Canadian’s invest in foreign real estate; whether it’s as a primary residence or used as a rental property.
Canadians, commonly known as “Snow Birds” can spend from 5-6 months in the USA when they own real estate to maintain their homes and/or get away on vacation. With owning real estate of any kind comes tax obligations depending on the use of the property.
- Must have or have applied for ITIN/TIN (Tax ID numbers for non US citizens to file a return.
- Must use up to date tax software for return
- Sending the correct forms to the correct addresses to the IRS